November 3, 2016
You’re invited to our Autumn Gathering! Join old and new friends and colleagues for:
- 6-6:45PM: Potluck and urban agriculture community networking: please bring a dish!
- 6:45-6:50PM: Welcome and AUA overview
- 6:50-7:10PM: Community slideshow — gardeners and farmers are invited to send 1-4 photos to email@example.com by noon on 11/14 to showcase your work, as well as opportunities to get involved
- 7:10-8:05PM: Presentations on two current urban agriculture-related policy initiatives:
- Good Food Purchasing Policy: Proposed city ordinance directing city departments and agencies to purchase food in accordance with environmental, nutritional, local, fair trade, and animal welfare standards.
- Urban farm business licensing: Campaign to establish a clear and reasonable business licensing process for new urban farming businesses.
- 8:05-9PM: AUA “Ward Ambassador” Project workshop: develop the skills and knowledge to effectively promote these kinds of policy proposals by becoming an urban agriculture “ambassador” to your alderman. The project seeks to train advocates in each of Chicago’s 50 wards to become knowledgeable representatives supporting sustainable urban agriculture in their community.
Help us spread the word about this free and fun event: share this message with your network, visit our Facebook event page and invite your friends! See you there!
October 28, 2016
Support one of East Garfield Park’s most exciting urban agriculture projects by getting your hands dirty and learning about composting benefits and best practices in action!
AUA Urban Farm Field Day
Saturday, November 12
Meet at 400 N Albany Ave, Chicago
10-10:15: Intro and overview of Chicago FarmWorks‘ history and program with Heartland Alliance Urban Agriculture Coordinator Jessica Surma
10:15-10:25: Compost walk and talk, delegate volunteer tasks, round up tools
10:25-11:40: Volunteer work turning and moving compost (and maybe planting some garlic!)
11:40-12:00: Break with hot cider and snacks!
12:00-1:00: Volunteer work
Be sure to dress in layers (something you can get dirty in) and bring water bottle!
Children 10 and up are invited to join.
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
You also might be interested in Slow Food Chicago‘s upcoming Crop Mob at Growing Home on Saturday, November 5! Click here for details. AUA is excited to be teaming up with Slow Food Chicago on field days and crop mobs next year – keep an eye out for announcements!