Chicago’s Advocates for Urban Agriculture (AUA) seeks a highly motivated part-time Outreach Coordinator to work with AUA’s Executive Director, Board of Directors, Working Groups, and members. The Outreach Coordinator focuses on event organizing, volunteer coordination, administrative duties, and other outreach/communications work while playing a supportive role in all aspects of AUA’s programs. This position has great potential for growth.
Advocates for Urban Agriculture (AUA) is a coalition of individuals, organizations and businesses working to support and expand sustainable agriculture in the Chicago area, from home- and community-based growing to market gardens and small farms.
To pursue this mission, AUA:
- Advocates for good urban ag policy
- Shares information, resources, and best practices
- Connects practitioners, consumers, and projects through a strong network
Supervision: The Outreach Coordinator reports to and is supervised by AUA’s Executive Director, and at times works directly with the AUA Board of Directors and Working Groups.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Organize, promote and coordinate AUA events throughout the year (including quarterly Gatherings, annual Summer fundraiser, 30-40 “micro workshops” at the Good Food Festival, and occasional Field Days and Movie & Mingle Nights), presentations and other outreach.
- Administer and improve AUA website, blog, social media, quarterly newsletter, and databases.
- Strategize and implement membership and donation drives.
- Develop and update AUA print & promotional materials.
- Represent AUA at events and presentations.
- Recruit and coordinate individual volunteers.
- Research funding and other resource support opportunities.
- Engage in research, outreach and administrative tasks for other AUA initiatives, including its urban agriculture mapping project and resource guide.
- Attend and manage logistics for Board and Working Group meetings and calls.
The ideal candidate for this position will bring:
- A robust background in event organizing and coordination.
- An energetic and creative approach to organizing and promoting fun, educational, and engaging events on a modest budget.
- Strong familiarity with the Chicago area’s urban agriculture/local food movement and diverse communities.
- Two years or more of work experience in related fields: urban agriculture and food systems; community, organizational, or small business development; or other relevant experience.
- Exceptional verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills. Knowledge and familiarity with proofreading, composing and editing communications.
- Excellent attention to detail, strong organizational skills, and ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to interact effectively with AUA’s Executive Director, Board of Directors, Working Groups, Members, and other community organizations and residents.
- Computer skills including fluency with Word, Excel, PowerPoint, related Google applications, and PhotoShop (or similar programs); familiarity with WordPress.com and website editing; and experience maintaining an engaging social media presence (especially with Facebook and Twitter).
- Scheduling flexibility — availability to work between 9am and 5pm at least 2 days Monday-Friday, along with evening and weekend hours as needed.
- Ability to sit, stand, and routinely lift up to 25 lbs (for transporting and setting up event materials).
- High level of self motivation and dedication to AUA’s mission. Since AUA doesn’t have a permanent workspace, the Outreach Coordinator will be expected to primarily work independently (from home or other locations that are conducive to computer work, phone calls, Skype/Google Hangout sessions, etc.) when not attending work meetings, presentations, or events.
- Use of computer, cell phone, vehicle (mileage is reimbursed for work travel), and a small amount of storage space for event supplies.
- An outgoing, enthusiastic, and friendly disposition!
Position: Outreach Coordinator
Status: Average of 22-25 hours/week (annual total of 1,144-1,300 hrs), depending on availability and experience, starting as soon as possible. Commitment through 2018 strongly preferred.
Salary: $16.00-17.50 per hour, depending on experience.
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Wednesday, August 31, 2016.