As growers, we know that winter is the perfect time to reflect and plan for the future season. I imagine many of you are nestled in with crop plans and seed catalogs. We wish you much growth and possibility this coming season! At Advocates for Urban Agriculture (AUA), we are reflecting on our history and direction through strategic planning, and making exciting plans for the year ahead.
We look forward to so many opportunities to collaborate. From a developing partnership to make free soil testing available to Chicagoland farmers and gardeners, to on-site group volunteering events across the city, to unique festivities like our 6th annual Urban Livestock Expo this Saturday, February 3, there are so many ways to get involved!
Speaking of which, we are excited to co-host this fun event for the first time at Southside Occupational Academy in Englewood, as well as offer workshops in Spanish. Come for free, family-friendly workshops on raising bees, goats, chickens, and more in your own yard!
As always, thank you for your contributions of resources, time, energy, and creativity to AUA and the urban ag community. We are grateful to participate in this thriving community with you.
Read on for this winter’s newsletter, where inside you’ll find:
- A call to join AUA’s newly forming Associate Board
- Your invitation for Saturday’s Urban Livestock Expo
- Details on the Midwest’s largest Good Food gathering, including free soil testing, engaging panels, and more
- Important legislative action alert to support the Good Food Purchase Policy
- A chance to bring group volunteers to your farm or garden this year
- AUA at the One Earth Film Festival, upcoming community and partner events, and more!
Together we grow,
AUA Executive Director