Chicago’s Advocates for Urban Agriculture (AUA) seeks a motivated half-time Program Assistant to support AUA’s Director, Steering Committee and members. The Program Assistant plays a supportive role in all aspects of AUA’s work, with a focus on administrative and outreach responsibilities.
AUA is a coalition of individuals, organizations and businesses working to support and expand sustainable agriculture in the Chicago area, from home- and community-based growing to market gardens and small farms.
To pursue this mission, AUA:
- Advocates for good urban ag policy
- Shares information, resources, and best practices
- Connects practitioners, consumers, and projects through a strong network
Supervision: The Program Assistant reports to and is supervised by AUA’s Director, and at times works directly with the AUA Steering Committee and Working Groups.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Administer and improve AUA website, social media, and databases.
- Help organize, promote and coordinate AUA events (including quarterly Gatherings and bimonthly Movie & Mingle Nights), presentations and other outreach.
- Represent AUA at events and presentations.
- Develop and update AUA print materials and social media.
- Research information for AUA’s Urban Agriculture Resource Guide.
- Contact urban agriculture sites for mapping and inventory project.
- Recruit and coordinate individual volunteers.
- Attend and manage logistics for Steering Committee and Working Group meetings and calls.
- Help research funding and other resource support opportunities.
- Assist in development of membership and donation drives.
The ideal candidate for this position will bring:
- Two years of work experience in related fields: urban agriculture and food systems; community, organizational, or small business development; or other relevant experience.
- Exceptional verbal, interpersonal and written communication skills. Knowledge and familiarity with proofreading, composing and editing communications.
- Excellent attention to detail, organizational skills and ability to prioritize, multi-task and work independently.
- Ability to interact effectively with AUA’s Director, Steering Committee, Working Groups, Members, and other community organizations and residents.
- Computer skills including fluency with Word and Excel; familiarity with database applications, and website editing.
- Availability to work evenings and weekend days as needed.
Position: Program Assistant
Status: Average of 20 hours/week, starting as soon as possible. Commitment through 2015 (and potentially 2016) strongly preferred.
Salary: $14-16 per hour, depending on experience
To apply, please send a résumé and cover letter to email@example.com no later than Tuesday, May 13.